Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sewing the day away..


I contemplated buying this older sewing machine today. No, not at first, whenever I saw the picture, but later as I sat sewing at my shiny white plastic brother machine with it's wonderful knobs, specialized stitches, and extra bells and whistles. I just started thinking about a time long ago and forgotten now. A time when most moms sat, just like me, sewing for their children. Not by choice, but instead out of necessity. I thought of a time less rushed. Of children who played in their yards with nothing but dirt and carved toys, and a childhood innocence that hadn't been compromised by the ugly that has plagued our children's world.
I had a ton of emotions flood through me thinking about even my own childhood. I remembered staying outside all day, with only the promise of dessert after dinner able to lure me back inside. And I looked at my son, engrossed in his rationed 2 hours of television. If he wanted to brave the extreme heat and go outside alone to play I would have said no. Overprotective maybe, but I'm that mom that sits and sews with plenty of time to think of "what could happen" in this crazy tourist town that we live in. We eventually did go outside to chase birds from their hiding spots and search for lizards... and the look on my kiddos face let me relax a little and just live in the moment. We ran with sticks, we jogged uphill, and we lived carefree... all today, and all in this world I had painted as such a scary place only minutes before we braved the world outside.
So I think I will stick to my modern sewing machine, and just grab on to the moments that float by, and the peacefulness of knowing the world may be crazy, but in our house, the only knowledge my son has of this is whenever I flip past the news at night and stop on the music channel while we speed clean the house before his daddy gets home ;)

2 comments:

Missy said...

I bought one of those antique sewing machines - just like my great grandmother owned. It is so pretty and it still works! I dont think my modern machine will still work 50 years or so from now!
missy

Renee•Candy Stick Lane said...

My brother (if you can believe that) got my mothers antique singer treadle machine when she passed. I would have love to had it - just to look at - I dont think I could sew on it though, although - i could help my thigh, calf, blubber situation thats going on!!!!! hee hee!